Sunday, November 30, 2008

So here's the deal...

Admittedly, I find blogging to be one of the douchiest and most self-aggrandizing things that someone can do. To assume that anyone is interested in reading YOUR thoughts on - in the words of Elaine Benes - the EXCRUCIATING MINUTIAE of everyday life is, let's face it, terrible. I like music and listen to a lot of it but that doesn't make my opinions on it something that you should care about at all. As a matter of fact you should probably ignore the opinions of bloggers entirely when considering your thoughts on anything because their opinions are probably going to inherently be bullshit. So why do people (myself included I suppose) do this at all?

1. You think a girl might read what you're writing and like you more
This is just really fucking dumb and is not all that far removed from thinking the best Storm Trooper costume will get you laid at a Star Wars convention.

2. You have a MASSIVE ego

3. Your job has absolutely nothing to do with your major interests


These were really the only three reasons I could think of... but upon further examination, I realized that perhaps not coincidentally they are also the three reasons why people decide to start bands so I guess I should add one more reason.

4. You have no musical talent and can't start your own band

So why am I doing this? I really just wanted to find a way to put out a Top 30 or So songs of 2008 list for my friends to read... also I want girls to read it, I have a massive ego, the 8th graders I teach could not possibly care less about my musical interests, and oh yeah I have absolutely no musical talent.

So consider that my preface and apology for what I'm about to undertake... I encourage taunting, mockery, really anything to make me feel like less of an asshole for doing this in the first place.

1 comment:

Goodwin said...

I'm on board. Just know that if Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" doesn't find its way into the top 15 I'm going to be very disappointed.